In 2012 you need more than just likes to justify the success of your facebook page. Brands that are nailing social these days on facebook look toward the ‘talking about us’ metric along with the amount of ‘shared’ posts, likes on posts, comments and referrals to the website/cart as an indication of social traction.
Wise Metrics (Facebook analytics provider) has come up with a neat little trick to draw more attention to your page posts that involve pics, gaining greater click throughs from the news feed.
We’ve noticed specific trends across our client base, such as the increased success of posts that are accompanied by an image; this is where we see a greater level of engagement and shares. This technique could be used to draw attention to a new campaign, application or new album created. We will be trialing out this new technique across the board, so stay posted.
Here’s how to do it:
- Resize your picture to 778 pixels wide.
- Put four vertical guides on your pictures at 241, 267, 510, and 536 pixels (x axis). These guides represent the margins Facebook will insert between your pictures.
- Create a square selection of 243×243 pixels. Place it in the middle of your picture.
- Add a horizontal guide at the top of your square selection. You will now need to crop three 243×243 pixels square.
- Move your 243×243 square selection to the left edge of your picture. Make sure the top of your selection is right on the horizontal guide. Crop the first picture and save it (jpeg).
- Move your 243×243 square selection to the middle of your picture, between the horizontal guide and the second and third guide. Crop and save this new square picture.
- Move again your 243×243 selection and move it to the right edge of your picture. Crop and save.
- Finally, publish a new album in Facebook by adding your three pictures. Add the relevant text and description (you can even insert links into the description field!).
Very clever and looks impressive but what do you think? Just a nice visual, or do split pics get you extra clicks???